It can be frustrating to find out that you’re going to end up late to your destination because your car is unable to start. After one turn on the ignition, you can quickly find out that your car’s battery is dead. If this has happened to you before, or you’re an experienced car drive, you’ll know quickly that you don’t need to call another service to get your car to start again.
If you’ve found yourself in this situation, there are a few things you can do before you start calling a service. If you’ve got people around you that can help with the situation, this will be beneficial for you. Trying to get your car to start again without anyone around you is hard, let alone without another car. An easy option to get your car to start again will be to use another car, but if you haven’t got access to that, then you can use some other methods.
Jump-Starting Manual Transmission
If you can’t find jumper cables and another car to get yours started, then you’ll have to find someone that can help you push the car from behind. This method only works on manual transmission vehicles because of the clutch. If you’ve got an automatic transmission, this won’t work.
1. For this to work, someone needs to push your car from behind so that it’ll start moving before you’ve turned the engine on. This needs to happen so that the car can gain some momentum which in some cases will trigger the engine to turn on.
2. Turn your car’s ignition on but make sure not to start the engine. This can be done by turning the key once in a clockwise direction.
3. Put your car in gear 2.
4. Step on the clutch along with the brakes.
5. Get someone to push your car and release the brakes so that the car can move but make sure to keep pressing on the clutch.
6. After releasing the brake, let the car move a but then let go of the clutch. This will cause the transmission to turn the engine over and cause it to start,
7. When the engine starts, it will start charging the battery so that your car will remain running.
If this method doesn’t work, you can repeat it a few times. The problem with repeating this many times is that you need someone who’s willing to keep pushing the car and you may also end up running out of space to push the car so remember to do this in an appropriate place.
Jump-Starting Automatic Transmission
If you try to do this on a car with an automatic transmission, it’s hard to know how fast your car will go and this might end up damaging the brakes. If you know that your car won’t catch speed quickly, you can try this method.
1. You need to get someone to push your car from behind until it starts to move, then releases the hand brake and foot brake.
2. Put the gear in drive and step on the gas pedal.
3. Once your car starts moving steadily, turn on the ignition and keep some pressure on the gas pedal. In some cases, your engine will start running with will allow the battery to start charging.
Looking After the Battery
The battery is one of the most important parts of your vehicle. It powers all the relays and other devices in the car that allow the engine to run properly. If you fail to look after the battery or any other component within your vehicle, you find yourself with a damaged battery very soon. It’s important that you look after the battery to avoid paying loads of money at the dealership.
If you want to avoid engine problems and save $100s of dollars that you’ll spend at the auto repair shop, you’ll need to service your vehicle often – you can use our mechanic-rated Auto Maintenance and Repair Manual to do this. It’s basically what mechanics use to go through your vehicle to check if there are any problems that need fixing. As soon as they notice the most minor problem, they’ll ask you to fork out some money even though it’s a problem you can fix yourself in minutes – the manual will teach you how to maintain your vehicle every few thousand miles and it’ll teach you how to fix minor problems that mechanics will ask you to pay for; saving you money in the long run.
A lot of our readers have the Auto Maintenance and Repair Manual printed on their garage wall and 92% of them haven’t visited the auto repair shop in the last year because they know what to do to avoid problems. All it takes is giving your vehicle a little attention every few thousand miles and you’ll never spend money at the workshop again.
Jump Starter Pack
If you couldn’t get someone to push your car, then you can use a jumper box. Jumper boxes are designed for jump-starting your car but rather than using another car to charge your battery, the jumper box (View on Amazon) is a huge battery pack that comes with jumper cables. If you have access to a jumper box with enough power, you can use it to charge your car.
Jump boxes come with their own jump starters so that you can connect the jump starters to the battery to get them charging. The more power your battery pack can give out, the quicker your car will charge. If you have access to one of these, it means that you can get your car to start going without the needs of another car battery or someone to push the car.
A jump box can easily fit into your garage or even in your car for emergencies and it’ll work on any engine size. They have the capacity to remain full for up to 3 months and they can alert you when the charge is down.
There are some dangers that come with jump-starting a car. You may damage some delicate electric components in the electrical system and end up blowing up the battery If you don’t know what you’re’ doing. If you don’t connect the cables to the positive and negative correctly, it can cause some problems. To prevent this, make sure not to touch the positive and negative leads together.
To use a jump box, it’s the same as connecting jumper cables to a dead battery.
1. Connect the negative jumper cable box to the engine block or another ground location.
2. Connect the positive cable to the positive terminal of the battery.
3. Keep the jump box in a stable location in the engine compartment or on the ground where it won’t detach or fall.
4. Try and start the car.
5. Once your battery has had some time to charge, leaving it for an hour is recommended, you can disconnect the negative jump box cable and secure it to the jump box.
6. Disconnect the positive jump box cable and secure it to the jump box.