If you own a 2023 Toyota Tacoma or any other 3rd generation Tacoma for that matter, you may wonder if it’s possible to get wireless Apple carplay on the car.
As you may already know, Apple Carplay allows you to not only play and control music on your phone using the car audio system, it also allows you to perform other functions like:
- Get directions using Maps
- Use Siri
- Stay up to date using Calendar
- Unlock and start your car
- Make and receive phone calls
- Send and receive messages
- Access other entertainment applications such as Podcasts on your phone
While it’s easy to get Apple Carplay using the phone’s USB cable, is it possible to connect wirelessly? Read on to find out.
Can You Get Wireless Carplay In 2023 Toyota Tacoma?
Yes, you can rather easily get wireless Apple Carplay in 2023 Toyota Tacoma. However, it is not as straightforward as enabling bluetooth on the car and on your phone, and then connecting both devices.
As a matter of fact, wireless carplay is not supported by default on 2023 Toyota Tacoma. When you go to the Toyota support website, you will find that the manufacturer only supports wired carplay using the phone’s USB cable.
Another fact I need to point out here is that, if you are looking for zero cabling for your wireless carplay, then that’s not possible as at the time of writing this article. To get wireless carplay, you would still need a cabled connection to your 2023 Tacoma port, but in a sleeker way that frees up your phone.
In the next section below, I have provided you with an easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide on how to get wireless Apple carplay on your 2023 Toyota Tacoma. Also, note that these steps will work for other 3rd generation Tacoma models or any model that comes with a wired carplay.
Let’s get right to it!
How to Get Wireless Carplay 2023 Toyota Tacoma
As I mentioned earlier, you would still need a cabled connection to your 2023 Tacoma USB port in order to get wireless Apple carplay. However, instead of using your phone, you would need a wireless receiver.
1. Get a wireless receiver for automobiles
This is the best one (view on Amazon) in my opinion. Ensure that the wireless receiver you are buying is specifically adapted for Apple Carplay operating system. Some wireless receivers work for both Android Auto and Apple Carplay, but you do not want to take that chance.
- Plug the wireless receiver into the carplay USB port on your 2023 Toyota Tacoma. When securely connected, the wireless receiver should power on and show a power indicator.
- Next, turn on Bluetooth on your iPhone and make sure that your device is discoverable. Then wait a few seconds.
- On the car display unit, you will see an indication that a Bluetooth device is connection.
- Wait until the connection is complete and your Apple OS interface is displayed on the car display unit.
- Now you can begin to enjoy wireless carplay
- I recommend that you tape the wireless receiver neatly underneath the audio unit. This will make the setup look cleaner, and also protect the wireless receiver and its cable from damage
Things to keep in mind:
Here are a few things to bear in mind when using Wireless Apple Carplay on 2023 Tacoma:
- If the connection between your phone and the car does not happen automatically, you may have to:
- Press Menu on the car display
- Watch until the Projection module turns to Apple Carplay, then tap on it
- Go to Bluetooth devices on your phone and tap on your Tacoma entertainment system name. Then accept the connection on both devices.
- The wireless connection between your phone and the car may break occasionally…often not more than 3 – 5 seconds. You do not need to do anything when this happens. Just wait for the devices to reconnect
- Apple Carplay must be enabled on your phone before this setup works
- Make sure that your iPhone has the latest OS updates
- Make sure that Carplay is supported in your country or region. As at the time of writing this article, these are the supported countries and regions for Apple Carplay
- Make sure that Carplay on the Tacoma has no restriction. To confirm:
Navigate to Carplay settings, tap on Screen Time, tap on Content & Privacy Restrictions, then tap on Allowed Apps
- Carplay is compatible with the iPhone models listed below:
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone XSiPhone ten s
- iPhone XS MaxiPhone ten s Max
- iPhone XRiPhone ten r
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE (1st generation)
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone SE (3rd generation)
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 5c
- iPhone 5